9.11.04

The four of them are packed into Tevon's Saturn, zooming downtown to the warehouse party. There is an silent acceptance that Tevon instinctively knows where everything is in Baltimore, so there are none of the normal conversations of, "Hey is this the right place?" or "Did we just pass the street it's on?" in this car. Instead, Tevon and Paz are arguing in the front seat while Ian and Ingrid stare out of their respective windows.

Concrete. Pothole. Smooth Asphault.

It's neat how you can feel the different textures of the road while you're sitting in a car. The sounds change too. From the bizarre grinding of traveling over grating to the constant fluidity of going over a Newly Paved Road. The Newly Paved Roads are the sweetest. They sound like fresh paint being rolled onto a wall, only on a constant loop. It's even better when you're going over a bumpy, messed up road with all the toppings: potholes, grating, debris, only to finally reach the Newly Paved Roads. It's like finishing a marathon or something. Ingrid is jolted from her thought by Paz and Tevon's escalated argument. What now?

"That is so not true! Journey is a perfectly good band and should be considered Classic Rock!"

"What? Tevon are you sure you're actually breathing and living? Journey?! Please! I mean, come on! They're just another cheesy Butt-Rock joke band that people listen to for kicks and eccentricity cred."

"Not true, Paz. Not true."

"Ok. Fine. Then actually name a Journey song that is worth listening to- and I don't mean for silly factor or the 'bitchin guitar riff' in the middle." Paz looks at him defiantly.

"Alright." he pauses, "Here we go. How about 'Separate Ways'? It combined amazing vocals, awesome synth work and good work."

Paz laughs uncontrollably, "Did you see the video for that? You've so got to be kidding me! And the lyrics are not all that good. " She turns to look at the window, still chuckling.

"Oh like you know any of the lyrics, anyways."

Paz gives him an icy stare. "Well, it's very nice of you to assume me to be a horribly un-informed music lover, but I actually do know the lyrics to that song."

"Oh sure, sure. Then by all mean, let's hear them."

"You wanna challenge me so much then-"

Ian drifts away again. I am going to see her tonight and that's going to be pretty weird. It's only the third time in two weeks. Already I don't really know what I saw in her for so long. Funny how people screwing you over can give you the glorious ability to dissect them like a seventh grade frog down to simpler parts. How could I have loved her for her vapid lust of designer clothes, even when she professed to be a vegetarian and talked so much about wanting to join the AmeriCorps one day? Why did I see how fucked up that was? How was she always so untouchable to me? I'm an idiot, a dime-store idiot. Hi, my name is Ian and you can walk all over me you fake, stupid, ignorant piece of evil devil and keep me from better people that I could of been dating all along. Hi, I'm Ian. Why don't you convince me that studying Music is a really horrible idea and instead tell me that I need to find something 'profitable and life expanding' to do with my life and Hi, let me believe it. Please take me away from my friends and convince me that I'm above them, that we're above them. Tell me what a bitch Paz is and how Ingrid is always trying to sleep with me and Tevon is really gay and in love with me and I should just forget them. Do I have to go tonight? Maybe Tev will turn around. He looks up at Tevon.

"- though we touched and went our separate ways." Paz finished triumphantly.

"Ok, ok. So you totally know the words to that song and I bow to you, oh mystifying mistress." He smiles at her.

"Ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaa! I am good. So, anyways, they still suck."

Tevon's anger is renewed, "What?! You can't tell me you know all the words and spoke them so passionately and you still-"

I've got to see her again. It'll cement all this. I have to cement all of this. She has to see that I'm over it and together and that she's a vapid fucking fool for hurting me and giving me up. Wait. I don't want to help her why do I still want to help her why do I care if she ever finds out what a horrible person she is???!! Amy just needs to go away or disappear or get knocked up by some stupid DJ, that's all I care about.

"Well maybe I do like Journey a little bit, but that doesn't make them Classic Rock." Paz looks away.

"See see! Now we're getting past your happy-go-hipster exterior to the truth! You LOVE Journey and I mean LOVE."

Paz turns back towards him, trying to contain a smile, "I do not! Stop it! I said they're not bad."

"Not bad equals LOVE. You LOVE-"

*****************************************

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home